Police & Sheriff’s Reports
• Sunday night about 9:07 p.m., LaGrange Police were in the area of Morgan Street near Lafayette Parkway when officers noticed a red Toyota pickup truck swerve causing the vehicle behind to brake hard and sound their horn in response.
Officers didn’t initially intend to stop the vehicle for the violation, but when the light turned green, the truck continued up Morgan Street at well above the speed limit and suddenly again changed lanes again. Police then began following the vehicle, pacing it at well above the speed limit as it continued weaving in and out of traffic.
Near the intersection of New Franklin Road and Commerce Avenue the truck again suddenly swerved into the right lane cutting off another vehicle approaching the red light. Once the light turned green the truck, the driver again accelerated at a high rate of speed leading officers to chase him at 90 mph.
The driver, Gabriel Mitchell Rhode, was then pulled over in the Walmart parking lot and immediately taken into custody for his obviously dangerous driving.
Rhode, age 20, was arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail and charged with Reckless Driving.
Rhode was later released from the Troup County Jail on bond.
• Early Sunday morning about 1:10 a.m., LaGrange Police were patrolling the area of Hill Street when a suspicious male was observed at the door of a closed business.
Officers stopped to speak with the male subject to ensure that he was not attempting to burglarize the location, and quickly noticed he appeared to be intoxicated.
The male then initially approached officers, but turned to walk off. Police then ordered him to stop loudly, at which point he attempted to flee on foot, but was barely able to run due to his intoxicated state. The male, later identified as Lazaro Ortiz-Gomez, was then apprehended as he attempted to enter a room at the Budget Inn on Hill Street. Officers placed one handcuff on the male and he grabbed the railing with the other hand, refusing to let go until other officers arrived and got him to comply.
As a result, Ortiz-Gomez, age 29, was arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail and charged with Public Drunkenness and Obstruction of Officers.
Ortiz-Gomez was later released from the Troup County Jail on bond.
• Sunday night about 11:27 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to the area of Wright Street in reference to a fight in progress.
Officers arrived and spoke with and adult male who stated that his girlfriend’s Honda Accord had been broken into by entered by four juveniles who attempted to steal it.
The complainant stated a witness gave him a description of the suspects, one of which he personally knew, so he confronted and detained him. He stated he then took the juvenile back to the location and called his mother, which was right before officers arrived on scene.
The juvenile was taken into custody by police and interviewed by detectives.
As a result of the incident, the 12-year-old juvenile was charged with Entering Auto and later released to his guardian.
• Saturday evening about 6:28 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to the Walmart on New Franklin Road in reference to Shoplifting.
Police arrived and made contact with the store’s Loss Prevention Officer, who stated she observed the suspects, later identified as Alexis Hill and LChecko Cheeks, concealing merchandise, and removing price tags and wearing various clothing the selected from the shelves without paying for the items.
She stated Hill first began by taking merchandise off hangers and then began removing merchandise from the original packaging and concealing the items in a bag. She advised Cheeks assisting by obtaining the merchandise and at one point began wearing a jacket that was not purchased.
Both subjects then attempted to leave without paying for the merchandise, valued at $163.44, which was all recovered.
A subsequent criminal history check on both subjects revealed neither had any prior convictions for Shoplifting. The subjects were also issued Criminal Trespass Warnings banning them from Walmart at the store’s request.
As a result, Hill, age 17, and Cheeks, age 21, were arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where they were booked into the jail and charged with Theft by Shoplifting – Less than $500.
Both subjects were later released from the Troup County Jail on bond.
• Pedro Ramirez, age 29, of Opelika, Alabama, was arrested by West Point Police for Driving While Unlicensed.
• West Point Police responded and began an investigation into threats that were received on Kia Boulevard.
• West Point Police responded to an incident of Shoplifting which was reported on East 10th Street.
• J’Fransisco Artez Turner, age 25, of West Point, was arrested for Misdemeanor Willful Obstruction of Law Enforcement Officer and Driving While License Suspended or Revoked.
• Mechakka Deshean Potts, age 25, of Lanett, Alabama was arrested by West Point Police for Probation Violation.
The individuals listed have been cited/arrested/charged in Troup County. However, this is not an admission of guilt. All parties are considered innocent until proved guilty.