Man Just Couldn’t Wait After DUI Wreck

A man full of beer just couldn’t hold it any longer after drunkenly rear-ending a vehicle. The man reportedly told police he needed to go to the bathroom, but none was available. He was later spotted relieving himself in the corner at the hospital.

The incident began Friday, June 15, around 5:42 p.m., when officers with the LaGrange Police Department responded to the intersection of Commerce Avenue and New Franklin Road in reference to a motor vehicle collision with injuries.

Police arrived and determined that a vehicle had rear-ended a vehicle that was stopped at the intersection for a red light. The complainant advised officers that he was stopped at the red light on Commerce Avenue, waiting to turn left onto New Franklin Road, when his vehicle was struck from the rear.

The complainant stated the collision jolted him and his passenger, but he didn’t want to go to the hospital. The passenger complained of neck and back pain, so she was taken to the WellStar West Georgia Medical Center for evaluation.

Police then attempted to speak to with the rear driver, Maurcio Gomez, and his passenger, who both appeared to be intoxicated.

Gomez and his male passenger both had injuries to their face due to broken glass and the airbag deployment.

Police say Gomez had an odor of alcohol on his breath, slurred speech, and glassy eyes. He also reportedly kept revving up the engine in his vehicle and trying to start it even though it was already running.

Both open and unopened containers of beer were later found in the floorboard of the rear vehicle, which sustained disabling damage. While investigating the incident, Gomez told police that he needed to relieve himself, but no nearby restroom facilities were available. Gomez was then told that the Emergency Room has a bathroom.

Paramedics later transported both Gomez and his passenger to the hospital for injuries sustained during the crash.

Gomez later told police that he had three beers and admitted to not having a driver’s license. Gomez also agreed to submit to a blood alcohol test.

Gomez was later observed by hospital staff urinating in the back corner of an ER Room.

Due to the current pandemic, officers elected to cite and release Gomez for the incident.

Gomex, age 33, was charged with Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol – Less Safe, Driving without a License, and Following Too Closely, and released.