In these times of need, there have as you know been many shortages in the medical field. The hospitals are short on masks, gloves and other things, and they are asking that if anyone that sews to please help. One way people are helping is that you can contact the local hospital or medical offices, or the health department and find out if they are taking masks. If they are, one type that can be used is washable hospital masks.
If you are interested in helping, there is a website that tells you how to make the mask, and doctors or the hospitals can put the filter in. Tanner Hospital sent out a link and instructions for this mask, and it will be of use to any hospital or doctor’s office.
Some of them are even asking for standard cotton masks.
The sample below is one that is found online.
How to make a Face Mask What you will need: Cotton fabric, Rope Elastic, beading cord elastic will work (you may also us 1/8” flat elastic) – Cut the elastic 7” long and tie a knot at each end (DO NOT knot the ends of the flat).
You can make two sizes: Adult or Child
1. Put right sides of cotton fabric together o Cut 9×6 (Adult) or 7.5 x 5 (Child) 2. Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner, stop. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
3. Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
4. Now sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. Again put elastic with the edge out.
5. Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
6. Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open, stop, cut the thread and turn inside out.
7. Pin 3 tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction 8. Sew around the edge of the mask twice.
If you can’t sew there may be other ways that you can help. The local health department can tell you what they need. If you can’t sew, that is okay too, you can always pray because they need a lot of prayers too.
Stand strong Troup County and help one another.